Comprehensive information about diving and undersea medicine for the non-medical diver, the non-diving physician and the specialist.
EDMOND KAY, MD, FAAFP
Fellow of the American Academy of Family Physicians
Board Certified in Diving and Hyperbaric Medicine & Family Practice
ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION DEGREE
1988 NOAA / UHMS Diving and
Medicine XIV Certification by Exam
1980 - 83 Swedish Hospital Family Practice Residency, Seattle, Washington A.B.F.P.
1976 - 80 University of California, San Francisco, School of Medicine, MD
1973 - 76 University of California, San Diego, Summa Cum Laude, Human Biology, BA.
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATES (current)
Advanced Cardiac Life Support /
American Board of Family Practice, Re-certified
Fellow, American Academy of Family Physicians
NOAA / UHMS Certification in Diving and Hyperbaric Medicine.
Washington State Medical License.
1983 - Present Riverton
Medicine. Board Certified Family Practitioner and Fellow,
1997 - Present Medical Director, Diver's Institute of Technology, Seattle, WA
1991 - 92 Director of Hyperbaric Medicine, The Institute of Applied Physiology and Medicine. Seattle, WA.
1989 - 92 Highline Medical Group Emergency and Urgent Care
1982 - 83 Northwest Emergency Physicians
LECTURES AND CONFERENCES (partial list)
* Lecturer 12th Annual Advances in
Practice Symposium, University of Washington, Category I CME.
- "Problem Wounds and the Role of Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy"
* Lecturer NOAA Physicians Training Courses. Topics - "Patent Foramen Ovale/Atrial Septal Defect", "Workshop in Bubble-Contrast Echocardiography", "Case Histories in Diving Injury", and "The Diver's Physical Exam" - four hour presentations on Diving Medicine
* Lecturer NOAA Diving Medical Technician Training courses. Topics - "Examination of the Chest", "Oxygen Administration for Diving Injuries"
* Lecturer University of Washington Category I Lecture Series. Topic - "New Concepts in the Management of Decompression Sickness".
* Lecturer Physicians and Nurse Practitioners of North Seattle Public Health Department, "The Diving Physical Exam"
* Lecturer Northwest Diving Rescue Workshop. Topic - “First Aid In Diving Accidents”
* Workshops WAFP Annual Meeting, "Clinical Applications of Computers"
* Workshops AAFP Annual Meeting "E-Mail for the Family Physician".
* Presentation Washington State Board of Health, "The On-Line Doc: An Introduction to Telemedicine"
* Co-chair Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society Workshop, "In-Water Recompression for Treatment of Decompression Sickness." (Seattle, 5/98). Editor of Proceedings.
PROFESSIONAL AND ACADEMIC ACTIVITIES
* Televised Presentation “The
Ear-Under Pressure”, a one-hour televised lecture sponsored by the
of Washington, UWTV, 9/00
* President Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society, Pacific Chapter 1994 - 1995
* Guest Commentary "MacNeil/Lehrer News Hour" nationally televised 12/93. Subject: "Health Care and Physician Payment Reform".
* Appointed Member National Delegation to the Healthcare Financing Administration (HCFA), testifying on physician reimbursement and payment reform, 5/92
* President King County Academy of Family Physicians, 1990
CURRENT PROFESSIONAL AND ACADEMIC MEMBERSHIPS
* American Academy of Family
* American Telemedicine Association
* King County Academy of Family Physicians, President 1990 - 1991
Executive Board member, 1984 - Present
* King County Medical Society
* Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society
* Washington Academy of Family Physicians
Board member & chair, Committee on Information Services
AWARDS, HONORS AND SPECIAL RECOGNITION
* Fellow, American Academy of
* Provost Honors, Regent's Scholar, Summa Cum Laude graduate for University of California, San Diego, 1976
* Recipient "Regent's Scholarship". A full merit scholarship to University of California, San Diego, 1973 - 1976
HOSPITAL AFFILIATIONS AND ACTIVITIES
* Highline Community
* Family Practice Department Chair 1995 - 1997
* Clinical Assistant
of Family Medicine, University of Washington.
* Clinical Assistant Professor, School of Nursing, Department of Psychosocial and
Community Health, University of Washington
* Dive Medical Officer, University of Washington Diving Program, Department of
Environmental Health and Safety.
* "Be Prepared and be
One Diver's Final Legacy", Alert Diver, March/April, 1993.
* "Diving Physiology in Plain English' Redux", Alert Diver, March/April, 1998
* “In-Water Recompression” Editor and Chair of Proceedings from the 48th UHMS
Workshop. Seattle, Washington 1998. Published, 1999
WORLD WIDE WEB SITE
* Personal web site dedicated to